The Oxford and Cambridge Golfing Society, founded in 1898, is one of the oldest golfing societies in the world. Known simply as The Society and carrying the motto 'serious fun', the majority of its 750 members gained their blue by taking part in the annual university match. The Society holds its annual meeting each January at Rye, where members compete for the President's Putter.
The event is contested over 4 days as singles scratch match play.
A complete list of past winners since the inaugural event in 1920, can be found here.
Photographs from 2019's President Putter, taken by Edward and Patrick Webb, can be seen here.
The first putter was given to the Society by its President John Low and was first played for in 1920. It originally belonged to Hugh Kirkaldy, at one time professional to the Oxford University Golf Club, who played with it when he won the Championship at St Andrews in 1891. John Low used it in a famous final of the Amateur Championship at St Andrews in 1901 and chiefly by his magnificent putting took Harold Hilton to the last hole.
When in 1956 the putter had received its full load of balls the great kindness of Laurie Auchterlonie of St Andrews provided its successor. The club had belonged to W. T. Linskill, one of the founders of the University match in 1878, for many years honorary secretary of the Cambridge University Golf Club and an acknowledged master of the wooden putter.
In 1987 the second putter was full. One of the two putters kindly given to the Society in 1969 by Eustace Storey was started. They were made by Willie Park of Musselburgh, both father and son winning the Open between 1860 and 1889. The first one used has a pronounced bow in the shaft. It appealed to Eustace Storey with his individual putting style.
"Surely there can nowhere be anything appreciably better than the golf to be had at this truly divine spot."